Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Ember by Jessica Sorensen

Jessica Sorensen is now included in my top 10 favorite authors of all time (possibly top 5!)!! She has done it to me again. A few months ago I read the Fallen Star series and fell in love. I started Ember yesterday afternoon and couldn’t put it down. The only time I stopped was for bathroom breaks (necessity, huh lol) and to cook dinner for my family (they gotta eat!) I finished last night and WOW!! I cannot wait for the second book! I am so in love with this series!

SOOOOO, I love this book! Even posted it on facebook and had a reply from my friend Kacie:

Me: Reading Ember by Jessica Sorensen and I love it! It’s possibly better than the Fallen Star.

Kacie: I like it better than Fallen Star. It’s kinda creepy and I like it. Hahaha

Me: Exactly!! I love the weirdness to it.



The heroine of the book, Ember, is an outsider. She has one friend (Raven) in the entire world and she is the only one that knows her secret. Her father is missing (the whole town thinks she killed him), her brother is a starving artist/stoner and her mom hates her. She constantly accuses Ember of murdering her grandmother (how could a 4 year old murder someone?).

I sound obsessed with death like Edgar Allan Poe or Emily Dickinson. But death is a huge part of who I am. With a simple touch I know when someone will die. Whether they’ll go painfully. If their life will be stolen.

Raven is constantly begging Ember to go with her to parties. She thinks she needs to live more and sulk with dead poets less. Ember hates parties (really, she hates crowds in general). The more people that are around the more deaths she sees and can sometimes go into panic mode.

Raven

While at the party Ember meets Asher. He is gorgeous, mysterious, and oblivious to the fact that no one has anything to do with Ember; he is completely taken with her. Ember enjoys Ashers company (who wouldn’t enjoy a hot, new, mysterious guy), he is the only person whose death she can’t sense.
Ember

Thomas Dekker as Asher

The day after the party someone turns up missing. Their car is found exactly as Ember’s father’s car was when he went missing. A few days later someone else goes missing, then another. What is up with all the missing people and why is Ember getting blamed for the murders when no bodies have been found? Does it have something to do with Asher? Or perhaps the other 2 guys who mysteriously show up in town around the time all of this is going on?

Easily a 5 star for me.

2 comments: