Monday, May 20, 2013

Review: Eyes Wide Open (The Blackstone Affair, Book 3) by Raine Miller

I liked Eyes Wide Open, but I wasn’t in love with it. I’m glad that we got a continuation of Ethan and Brynne’s story, I just wish there would have been more to it. I felt like a lot of stuff was very repetitive and the same love scenes from books 1 and 2 were just added to make this book longer. Aside from that, I still enjoyed it; I just had to do a little skimming over things that bored me.

I can’t explain too much what it was exactly that seems repetitive and rushed, because that would give us a spoiler review. I will just say that it seems every book at the moment is coming out with the same scenario and we need something different. I am tired of the fast paced love, the rich guy and the broken girl. It is just becoming too much.

Another thing that bothered me so much with this book...the sex scenes. I swear there was sex in every chapter. I love a good, steamy, hot sex scene, but I don’t need it every 5 minutes. It took away from the story that we so desperately needed. The times Ethan and Brynne were “doing it” we could have been getting a little more insight on Ethan’s nightmares or the new situation that Brynne is in. We already know they have hot sex from books 1 and 2. Sure throw a little steam in the book, but don’t overload the reader. That kind of killed it for me.  I really another book. I can’t say that I will jump on the next book as fast as I did this one. I waited and waited on this book to come out, and when it did, I was just kind of disappointed. Something was just missing. It didn’t hit the spot for me like the others in the series.

Aside from my rant above about what I didn’t like. There are still things that I did like.

We finally get to learn about Ethan’s story. We find out what happened in the war, where his scars come from and a little about his nightmare. He opened up to Brynne about this, but not as much as I would have liked to see him open up.

This book is also from both POV’s which really helped add to the story. We know right away what the other party is thinking and we don’t have to wait around like we would if it was just in one person’s POV.

We get to see a different side of Ethan in this book as well. Not just what his nightmares are about, but we also meet some of his family and see how he is with his niece. He is just too sweet and the way he is with the child makes me swoon for him more.

There is a slight twist to the story, but honestly, I saw it coming. It still adds to the building drama that we so desperately want and need, but I knew it was going to happen, It always does, lol.

Just because I didn’t like the book like I thought I would does not change how I feel about Ethan, lol. I am still hooked on him. He possesses many different qualities. He is sweet yet demanding, quiet yet brooding and can steal a room. I love the Alpha-ness he possesses and the way he take charge, especially when it comes to Brynne.

The ending left me a bit unsatisfied with the story. I still felt like I needed something more. Other readers have been content with the ending, and that is fine too, we cant all like the same thing. I’m just glad to know that there will be a 4th book released later this year, hopefully that will give me the closure I need.

3.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment